Monday, October 24, 2011

Car Problem! Need Help ASAP!?

I had only drove about 9 blocks when my tryck died. Its a 1987 Chevy Suburban. I was only going 20-25 mph then all the sudden the radio and everything started to die and then the engine shut off. Then the truck was rolling so I tried to use the brakes, but they were locked up for some reason so I switched to park. Then I started it back up just fine, but I still don't want it to die again.



I heard it could be either the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs or the alternator.



I had changed the fuel pump and put new oil in about a month ago and only drive this three days a week.



And if it helps, only the radio was on, and I was hauling 500+ lbs. of laminate flooring in the back space.



So what the problem and how do I fix it???Car Problem! Need Help ASAP!?ignition module (under distributor cap)

distributor cap and rotor bug

spark plugs and wires

throttle body may need cleaning

check alternator along w\ the battery

also when the engine dies your braking system looses vaccum that's why the brakes locked upCar Problem! Need Help ASAP!?%26quot;...then all the sudden the radio and everything started to die and then the engine shut off. %26quot;



What do you mean by %26quot;everything%26quot;? Everything ELECTRICAL? You need to be more specific. But since you said the RADIO started to die (first), and THEN it cut off, that is a huge clue. Forget the fuel pump, filter, spark plugs, etc. Sounds like you lost electrical power, so it quit running.

So, here's my theory - Chevrolet has had a reputation for having bad ignition switches. Does your truck have tilt column in it? Those can cause electrical problems in the harness to the ignition switch, by rasing/lowering the column. Since it started right back up, that kind of points to electrical, not fuel-related.

The brakes %26quot;locked up%26quot; because you lost power brakes, you would have to push REALLY hard to engage them once you lose vacuum ( I think that is a dangerous design flaw, but anyway...), so there's probably nothing wrong with them. Hauling 500 lbs is nothing, either.

I'd try moving the column if it's a Tilt, while idling ( in PARK, not while you're driving! Hel-LO , :D ), to see if it'll cut off again. If it does, then you may have found your problem. Do an internet search on Chevy Suburban and Ignition switches, and see if you find any reports of problems. You may find them. I know the Blazers and small pick-ups suffered as well from this once they got some age on them. Good luck,

- The Gremlin Guy -Car Problem! Need Help ASAP!?My mother bought a Chevy Baretta in the 1980's (don't remember the exact year-82-85?) and it would stop running on the freeway!It happened to myself and a younger sister on the freeway and thank God it was early in the a.m. and we were returning from a concert so there was little traffic. This problem continued, and it behaved in the exact manner as yours, except that many times it would not start as well as the times it did. We took it to so many mechanics yet none could ever fix the problem. To this day, we still do not know what the problem was. However, my mother got a Lemon Law attorney-it was a new law back then-and forced Chevy to buy back that Baretta since it was off the showroom floor when we bought it and had fewer than 10 miles on it. She won and got back all of the money she spent on it, including down payment and monthly payments. You do not say if you bought the truck new or used.

So, while this is not a technical mechanical answer, I am just telling you that was our experience with a Chevy behaving like that. It may be a computer problem, it may be a battery problem. That's all I can tell you.Car Problem! Need Help ASAP!?GM had a problem on many models where the wiring passed through the firewall, especially when wet. The connections on the outside as well as the connections under the dash were not making good contact, and woud break contact at various times. Next time, try to isolate problem by moving wires outside first, then under dash. after each movement, try to start vehicle.Car Problem! Need Help ASAP!?I agree with tracie and gremlin. sounds like an ignition problem.Car Problem! Need Help ASAP!?My guess is the ignition switch



try wiggling the key all over the place while it is running (in park) see if you can make it cut out