Monday, October 24, 2011

I have an 85 tbird that I changed over to a 4bbl carb and performance cam. I can't keep the fuel pump running?

I have a regulator on the line but the pump will only for a few seconds and shutoff. I am also using an hei dist and gear drive so a manual pump is not an option. How can I make the pump run and keep it runningI have an 85 tbird that I changed over to a 4bbl carb and performance cam. I can't keep the fuel pump running?What kind of pump? Are you sure its not self regulated? Meaning it doesn't require an in-line regulator.



If its a Holley red or blue, these do not need a regulator.



If you are using the in tank pump, you need to get 12volt power to it from the ignition, not through the computer.I have an 85 tbird that I changed over to a 4bbl carb and performance cam. I can't keep the fuel pump running?If the pump pressure is self regulating, then adding another regulator may be your problem. Remove it. Your pump may be sensing a broken fuel line and shuts itself off because it can't build up fuel line pressure.



Also, the pump doesn't have to run all the time, only when fuel line pressure drops to a predetermined value. I don't know how your fuel pump is designed.



On my car, before I start, I can hear the fuel pump. But it shuts off after a few seconds.I have an 85 tbird that I changed over to a 4bbl carb and performance cam. I can't keep the fuel pump running?if you changed from fuel injection the tank pump won't work for you. aftermarket fuel pump wired to your key on power will do the job. it'll pull the gas through the old pump ok, unless it's gummed or frozen but you say it works. they're designed to run off of the negative side of your distributor so that it only works in spurts so that if the engine quits the fuel shuts off in case of a wreck. the stock tank pump is not going to feed and or starve the 4 bbl and likely won't last long. ok for test purpose, so you can hear the cam thump, lol, find your fuel relay, take a test lamp and have a buddy turn the key on and off for you. find the wire that comes on then goes off. pull the relay and jump across from power on to that plug and you should be in business. the circuit is fused, but ford wiring is bassackwards on alot of things. save yourself alot of worry and just buy an aftermarket electric pump. i'd of just used a double roller set and manual pump and essentric, but just my BA small block ford building opinion.I have an 85 tbird that I changed over to a 4bbl carb and performance cam. I can't keep the fuel pump running?buy a holley electric fuel pump and install as close to the fuel tank as possible they push better than they pump,and should use a regulator with a gauge to keep the pressure around 7 psi,your fuel injected pump is putting out over 32 psi way to much pressure for a carb.check out www.summitracing.com for all the parts you will need to install the pump and fix your dilemmaI have an 85 tbird that I changed over to a 4bbl carb and performance cam. I can't keep the fuel pump running?Check your grounds then make sure pump is in right location(at rear of car).Electric pumps are pushers not pullers.if that is correct and you've got good pressure,it might be a bad pump