Thursday, September 22, 2011

02 camaro v6 question?

I asked a couple question regarding my fuel issue and got a lot of helpful answers. I did however forget to include a detail that might help me before i tear my whole rear end down and drain my full fuel tank to change the pump.

I have a 2002 Camaro 3.8l 86k miles.



The day the car quit running it drove fine all day, that evening I took it to a friends house and when I left and tried to start it, it started but immediately would die, after a few cranks i got it to run only if I held the pedal to the floor it would sputter and idle about 4 or 500 rpms, after that it would die. The first time I opened my hood my belt was compeltely off the alternator pulley and water pump pulley. I reinstalled it correctly assuming this was the reason it would not run and attemped to start it again and the second I cranked it, it threw the belt off. After putting it on one more time, it finally stayed on and I proceeded to crank it and it would not start, but the belt stayed on even after about 5 minuted of cranking. Thats when I pulled the fuel filter off, i let whatever fuel was in the line and filter drain out. Then I left the filter off and turned my key position to on, and nothing came out of the fuel line from the tank. So i immediately assumed that it was the pump. So before I change the pump does anyone have any idea what would cause my belt to jump off? its the correct size and i checked all of pulleys the only that wouldnt spin freely was the crank of course. The belt is new. I am going to check my relays and fuses this afternoon but thought I would see if someone might have an idea. I have also already changed the fuel filter, originally my filter was so dirty that i could barely pass any air through it, a parts guy said that sometimes if you have a clogged filter for a long period of time it can cause a vacuum in the tank and eventually cause the pump to fail. However someone disproved that point earlier when they explained how the 02 Camaro fuel pump is made so that it is submerged in fuel even when there is little in the tank. Any help would be appreciated.02 camaro v6 question?Fuel pump?

If you've run out of gas more than once, it may be toast.

The fuel pump is on a two second timer when the ignition is turned on, but not started.

When the computer registers oil pressure with the engine running, it will keep the fuel pump operating.



The belt?

Make sure your A/C and defrost is turned off. Maybe remove the A/C fuse just to make sure.

You may have a problem with your A/C pump locking up and throwing the belt when the A/C pump clutch engages.



Don't yank the tank just yet.

Check your fuses under the dash, and under the hood in the power distribution box.

Check you engine oil level. (oil pressure)02 camaro v6 question?for your belt check pulley alignment as if are not straight the belt will jump or work its way off. As to fuel pump if the filter is plugged or severely restricted it will cause the pump to fail due to the excessive load against the pump. Just make sure relays and fuses are OK first.
  • hair spray
  • hair cutting
  •