Monday, September 19, 2011

How can I check a new fuel pump to make sure it is working?

I have a 89 Chevy S10(2.5) that it's been sitting in the back yard for a long time. It has always run noisy and rough. I managed to get it to start but died on me the next day. I changed the fuel pump and it started right back up and run for one day, the next day it died again and sounds like it could be fuel. Engine turns but it wont start. Some times it does start but feels like it doesn't get any fuel and dies.

Well, I just want to know how can I check to see if the new pump I installed is working? When I turn the ignition on, the pump does make that sound as if it working.



Thanks...How can I check a new fuel pump to make sure it is working?The fuel pump may indeed be working fine. The fact you pointed out that the truck has been setting a long time makes me concerned about the quality of the fuel in the tank. Fuel that sets for a long time begins to varnish and will not burn very well if at all.



If you remove the fuel cap and smell the fuel tank, does it smell like fuel? Or does it smell like a real strong varnish? If it smells really powerful like varnish, you are going to have to remove the fuel tank from the vehicle and flush out the old fuel. This presents a small problem, like what are you going to do with the old fuel? Finding someone to accept it is another story.



I would also suggest replacing the fuel filter after flushing the tank. With any luck the varnish hasn't done anything to your injector either.



Once you have established that you have good quality fuel in the tank you can check to see if you have fuel pressure. If I remember correctly the 2.5 Liter does not have a schroeder valve to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. You have to hook your fuel pressure gauge in series with the pressure line which requires a complex set of tees.



With the key on and engine off you are going to want to see between 9-13 pounds. You may have to cycle the key on and off pausing at least 10 seconds between cycles.



Now, if for whatever reason you can't get a fuel pressure gauge installed, It is a safe bet you can remove the air cleaner lid and watch the injector as it pulses fuel into the throttle body. Have an assistant crank the engine while you watch for a fuel spray. It should be a nice mist in the shape of a cone. If not then crack the fuel line where it goes into the throttle body. Cycle the key on and off and look for fuel coming out of the line while you do this.



Have a fire extinguisher close by while doing thisHow can I check a new fuel pump to make sure it is working?Have you checked to make sure that your carburator has all of the parts.... one of my guy friends has a 61 ford truck that he is working on and it is doing the same. It might be the carb. I work more on fords. I've been rebuilding a 410 ( bored 351 whenzer) for a 68 mustang.How can I check a new fuel pump to make sure it is working?Hey! Thats a good sign that it is working, now the correct fuel pressure is something different. Check your fuel filter and make sure there isn't a blockage there. As a no brainer you can always spray throttle body cleaner straight into there and then crank it and see if it's a fuel delivery problem. You can also check the fuel pressure to make sure you're getting...60 psi, I believe is what a GM needs to run on. Get back with me on that. BE more than happy to help you out. Good Luck!
  • comforter take to wash
  • computer has become too slow
  •