Monday, September 19, 2011

2006 Chevorlet Cobalt sedan LS Fuel pump?

My car has 65010 miles on it. The fuel pump is making a loud hummming noise. On Mon I am going to the mechanic to get it checked out. How much does it cost for a new fuel pump? How does it work changing a fuel pump in my car? What are the signs of a bad fuel pump? My car runs real great and no problems driving it. I started hearing the hummimg sound 3 months ago and before that I never heard that sound. Sometimes the sound gets loud, but than soft and so on. Is it good to get it replaced at a chevorlet dealer or regular auto mechanic?2006 Chevorlet Cobalt sedan LS Fuel pump?Sometimes, a hum like this is due to a clogging fuel filter. It can restrict the proper flow of fuel both to the engine and back to the tank. (Fuel injected cars have TWO fuel lines). Fuel pumps, in general, either work, or don't work. A noisy one can also indicate that the tank filter is clogging up. On most American cars, to change the pump you must drop the tank. I would consult with several shops before choosing one to fix this. I would start with the dealer and get an estimate. Also, I would ask if there is a recall on this part, you never know. There could be an extended %26quot;secret%26quot; warranty issue here. NHTSA might be helpful as a guideline. They saved me $800 on a %26quot;secret%26quot; GM defective engine recall, years ago. Good Luck!! Also, you should be using only top tier gasolines, which have adequate lubricating qualities, and fuels which do not have any methanol (rubber dissolving) components. Many fuel pumps go bad from poor fuel quality.